The Confederation of African Football (Caf) were on Friday in Accra discussing the staging of the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations (Afcon) following reports that host nation Cameroon's preparations were in difficulties.
The executive of the football governing body met in an extra-ordinary meeting on Friday, November 30 in Accra to arrive at this decision.
"CAF will ensure that a new host is in place by 31st December, 2018, and it will communicate openly and transparently on the process and subsequent decision".
There are close to six months to the kick off of the long awaited 2019 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) finals.
Earlier this year, Morocco's sports officials denied that Morocco wanted to replace Cameroon and repeatedly said that Morocco supports Cameroon's bid.
In August, CAF Chairman Ahmad Ahmad cast doubt over Cameroon's readiness to host Africa's biggest football event.More news: Saudi prince back on stage to Putin delight, Macron warning
Aside delays as per reports of inspection teams within the last 18 months, security in the country is said to be at high risk.
For journalist Pierre Youte "it's perhaps a good decision. like this Cameroon will have the time to learn and find the means to host a CAN worthy of the name".
One of those was to assess the security situation after an increase in violence in the southwest and northwest of the country involving English-speaking separatists and government forces.
The Cup of Nations is no stranger to dramatic subplots.
Equatorial Guinea stepped in to the breach in 2015 when original hosts Morocco had appealed in vain for the competition to be delayed because of the Ebola epidemic. It will also be the first Afcon expanded from 16 to 24 teams.