At least four persons were killed and as many as 20 were injured in a gunbattle between security forces and a group of militants in Afghanistan's Jalalabad on Sunday.
At least three explosions were heard at the start of the attack on the building housing the state accounts office, the first from a vehicle bomb detonated at the entrance, said Attahullah Khogyani, a spokesman for the provincial governor.
Attahullah Khogyani, spokesman for the governor of Nangarhar province, said eight civilians, including three finance department employees, were killed in the vehicle bomb attack.
Provincial governor's spokesman Ataullah Khogyani confirmed that the attack ended after five hours of gun battle between the security forces and the assailants.
Earlier, he said the attack had been carried out by four attackers and that there had been two explosions. More explosions were then heard coming from inside the building.More news: North Korea Sets Date for Shutting Down Its Nuclear Test Site
The attack targeted the tax and revenue office of Nangarhar Province in the city center of Jalalabad on May 13.
Taliban militants and fighters of Islamic State outfit have presence in the province, some 120 km east of Afghan capital of Kabul.
The militant attack is the latest in a series across Afghanistan this year. There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack.
The Taliban and IS have made clear their intention of disrupting the elections.
Nine journalists, including AFP's chief photographer in Kabul Shah Marai, were among 25 people killed in a double suicide blast claimed by IS in the capital on April 30.