Four Ohio teenagers are facing murder charges in the death of a MI man, who was hit by a sandbag tossed off an I-75 overpass in Toledo.
Lori Olender, Deputy Chief of the Lucas County Prosecutor's Office, said that the four teens - three 13-year-olds and one 14-year-old - were charged with murder and two counts of vehicular vandalism for the December 19 incident in which Marquise Byrd was fatally injured.
In the 911 call from the evening, the driver, who says her name is Armani, panics when she doesn't see her friend move.
One of the bags crashed through the window of a vehicle traveling below, hitting passenger Marquise Byrd on the head.
The Lucas County Coroner's Office says Byrd died of blunt-force trauma injuries to the head and neck.
Byrd, who was from MI, was on his way to meet friends in Toledo when the sandbag struck. He was engaged and had a 1-year-old son, said Ms. King, 26, of Roseville, Mich. They are being held without bail at a Toledo juvenile detention center.
Police determined the sandbag had been thrown onto southbound I-75 from the Indiana Avenue overpass. After Byrd's death, they were charged with murder, felony vehicular vandalism and misdemeanor vehicular vandalism.More news: 'Star Wars' actor Alfie Curtis passes away at 87
"I don't think I could make the argument", she said.
"My auntie has to bury her son. He's gone. He's never coming back", Ms. King said.
Lori Olender, deputy chief of the county prosecutor's juvenile division, said she is not seeking to transfer the teenagers' cases to adult jurisdiction.
Byrd died on Friday, prompting the prosecutor's office to amend the criminal complaint.
The suspects include three 14-year-olds and one 13-year-old.
Judges in these cases must consider factors including whether the juveniles could rehabilitate by 21 years old, if they used firearms, and whether they are mature enough for the adult system.